TMJ Rehabilitation in Guelph, Ontario
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ), also known as your jaw, isn’t something we think about until there’s a problem. When the TMJ functions as it should, we can eat, chew, and talk with ease. But when problems and pain arise with the jaw, it can significantly interfere with your everyday life.
When pain occurs with the TMJ, this is often referred to as temporomandibular dysfunction (TMD). However, collaboration with your Guelph physiotherapist can help you find relief and overcome TMJ pain.
At Westwood Physiotherapy, we are here to help. Together, we can help you combat jaw pain and feel better. Get in touch with us today for more information!
Do You Need TMJ Rehab?
The TMJ is a complex joint with two bones and a disc. For the jaw to work properly, movements on both sides must coordinate. When miscoordination or misalignments occur, pain can result.
In fact, TMJ pain can range from mild to severe symptoms including:
- Pain in the jaw or front of the ear
- Clicking or popping
- Locking of the jaw
- Muscle spasms
Causes of TMJ Pain
Jaw pain can arise due to a variety of reasons. Some of the most common causes include the following.
Grinding of the teeth at night can lead to wear and tear of the teeth, as well as persistent jaw pain. Often, your dentist will recommend a night guard for protection. However, you may still experience muscular pain due to the clenching of your jaw at night.
Everything in the body is connected! Unfortunately, perpetually poor posture can lead to jaw pain. For example, forward head posture (also called “text neck”) can lead to tension in the muscles around the neck and, eventually, jaw pain.
Trauma directly applied to the jaw joint or muscles around the jaw can lead to TMJ pain. Even if the injury initially heals, scarring or mobility issues can lead to pain in this area.
How Physiotherapy Can Alleviate TMJ Pain
With TMJ rehabilitation, your Guelph physiotherapist can help you find jaw pain relief. This is achieved using a variety of methods, including:
- Improving TMJ mobility: Your TMJ rehab physiotherapist uses a combination of manual therapy techniques and prescribed exercises to help you regain mobility in your jaw.
- Reducing muscular spasms: Manual therapy techniques, such as trigger point therapy, can help reduce muscle spasms and relieve tension in this area.
- Strengthening exercises: Based on your initial assessment, your physiotherapist prescribes exercises to help strengthen your jaw and the areas around your jaw.
- Postural training: If poor posture is found to play a contributing role in your TMJ pain, your physiotherapist prescribes postural training exercises, such as the seated row, to help correct this issue.
- Pain relief techniques: As part of your TMJ rehabilitation, your physiotherapist may use acupuncture, cold therapy, heat therapy, and other manual therapies to help reduce your pain.
Trust Your Local Guelph Physiotherapist to Help You Feel Better
Are you searching for an experienced and trusted TMJ physiotherapist near you? Look no further than the Westwood Physiotherapy team in Guelph, ON. With vast experience in TMJ rehab, our team can help you overcome jaw pain and feel better.
Discover how physiotherapy can help you achieve your goals. At Westwood Physiotherapy, we strive to empower each and every patient by offering the highest quality of care possible. Call us at 519-341-5161 or use our online booking tool to schedule your appointment today.